Dragon Rises, Red Bird Flies: Psychology & Chinese Medicine (Revised Edition)
- PDF This eBook is available exclusively as a PDF and is readable with the free Javelin PDF Reader, accessible from your Account page after purchase. See eBook FAQs for details.
Behind the acupuncture, herbal remedies and sophisticated diagnostics of Chinese medicine lies a “congenial system of healing that embodies unification of body and mind, spirit and matter, nature and man, philosophy and reality.” In this comprehensive and ground-breaking presentation, based on long experience as physician, psychiatrist, and practitioner of Chinese medicine, Leon Hammer offers a new model for appreciating the traditional healer’s effective and profound respect for individual integrity and energetic balance. Explaining, and moving beyond, the five phase (element) system, he shows that this Eastern practice is as much a spiritual science as a physical one.
Accessible to the layman, yet a resource for the professional in any healing art, this book examines the natural energy functions of the human organism as a key to mental, emotional and spiritual health. It offers new insight into disease, showing how it is not merely an invasion from the outside, but rather a byproduct of a person’s unsuccessful attempt to restore one’s own balance.
- Map of Contents
- Preface to Revised Edition
- Preliminary Distinctions
- Chinese Medicine and Psychology: Congenial Therapeutic Partners
- Chinese Medicine and Psychology: First Encounters and Empirical Implications
- The Fundamental Energy Constructs of Chinese Medicine
- Psychosomatic Medicine: West and East
- The Traditional Five Phase System: Emotion and the Disease Process
- A Revision of the Traditional Concepts of Emotion in the Context of the Five Phase System
- Introduction to the Natural Functions and Disharmony States of the Five Phase System
- The Water Phase
- The Wood Phase
- The Fire Phase
- The Earth Phase
- The Metal Phase
- Anxiety and Depression
- The Systems Model of Dr. Shen
- A Medical Model
- A Recapitulation
- About the Author
"Hammer has plumbed the depths of this most ancient healing tradition and offered his findings like the master teacher that he is . . . A major contribution."
"An excellent piece of work—honest, illuminating, and creative—and I would recommend it to anyone with a serious interest in Oriental medicine."
—Peter Eckman, M.D., Ph.D,
"Hammer argues cogently for a cause well worth taking seriously by health professionals and the public at large."
"Dr. Hammer has brought new light to the depths of Chinese medicine."
—Ted J. Kaptchuk, O.M.D.