175 color plates
Tongue Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine (3rd Ed.)
- PDF This eBook is available exclusively as a PDF and is readable with the free Javelin PDF Reader, accessible from your Account page after purchase. See eBook FAQs for details.
Examination of the tongue, like the pulse, is one of the principal diagnostic methods in traditional Chinese medicine. This book is a thorough, clinically oriented exposition of tongue diagnosis by one of the most respected teachers and practitioners of Chinese medicine in the West.
Each of the major aspects of the tongue – body color, shape and coating – and its relationship to the diagnostic process is systematically described. The book also traces the historical development of tongue diagnosis and its role in the evolution of traditional Chinese medical theory and practice.
Featured in this new third edition are 175 color plates selected from the author’s practice which vividly illustrate many of the types of tongues that are commonly found in the Western clinic. Accompanying many of the plates are dozens of case histories which illustrate the application of the principles of tongue diagnosis in actual practice.
Other aspects of tongue diagnosis described in this third edition include the integration of tongue and pulse diagnosis; the use of the tongue in diagnosing emotional problems; tongue diagnosis and herbal therapy; using the tongue for prognosis; and special considerations regarding tongue diagnosis in children. Appendices provide a summary of traditional principles governing identification of disease patterns (six stages, four levels, three burners) and their relationship to tongue characteristics.
A glossary of technical terms, bibliography and detailed index are also included.
“A clear, precise and accurate description of this important pillar of Chinese medical examination.” —From the Foreword by Ted Kaptchuk
- History of Chinese Tongue Diagnosis
- An Overview of Tongue Examination
- Tongue Signs: A Picture of the Internal Organs
- The Eight Principles in Tongue Diagnosis
- Tongue Spirit & Body Color
- Tongue Body Shape
- Tongue Coating
- Tongue Diagnosis in the Clinic
- Case Histories
- Appendices: Identification of Patterns According to the Six Stages, Four Levels and Three Burners Summary of Tongue Signs ; Tongues Signifying Dangerous Conditions
"A thorough, clinically oriented exposition of tongue diagnosis."
—American Journal of Acupuncture
"Will undoubtedly be the standard textbook on tongue diagnosis for many years to come."
—The Journal of Chinese Medicine